5.27.2011

Opinions

Stela and one of her many unique outfits.


"Times, they are a-changin'."

Thanks Bob.

I'd like to do some kind of clinical study. Test...of some sort. 

Of what you ask?

Welp. To put it simply: the generation we are trying to raise. 

I want to see if all kids were and are strongly, stubbornly and steadfastly opinionated on all matters, both large and small, this early in their life. OR if it is just this up and coming generation. (OR maybe it's just my kids...but I'd like to live in the land of projection for a while.)

I have no idea how to compile a study of such a broad and subjective topic. But I can tell you what I use to form my own opinions on the matter: my gut. And it's telling me we've got a generation of opinionators. (Yep. Just made that word up.)

Have you noticed it? The way our kids have solid ideas about who they are, what they think about certain things, what they like and most definitely what they don't?

I've thought about this a lot lately. Mostly because my kids have an opinion about everything, but also because they don't tend to be the type of rocks that just roll with it. They have their easy-going moments, but most of the time it is a tug of war of compromise, discussion and reasoning. They want an answer to their why. And "because I said so" isn't getting the job done anymore. 

I can't help but think it's some type of armor. A shield of opinions. A way to make this crazy, frenzied, in your face world feel controllable. A way to find out who we are and who we can become.

Don't get me wrong. There are moments when I am firmly saying, "I am the mom. Do what I say.", like when it comes to brushing teeth or changing underwear for instance.

But, there are also those moments when I think, "This is who you are. Thanks for letting me know." And I become grateful for the iron-gripped opinions of my kids. The roots they lay claim to. The opinions that run deep and will weather their storms of life. The ones that will give them security in a world that constantly beats and bloodies our most sensitive opinions. 

My kids know who they are. And right now, they love themselves for it. And for that, I will load up as much armor as I can to keep it that way. 

I'll even put up with ten wardrobe changes a day.

2 comments:

Lysa said...

YOU and your writing skills. You amaze me time and time again..why aren't you published Erin..?? Why??

Erin said...

I knew you cared Lysa. Only you.