5.15.2010

Yellow Ledbetter


You know the song. Right? 

An early nineties anthem. The moody growl of Eddie Vedder. 
The ode to flannel shirts and long greasy hair. 
Oh wait. That’s Nirvana. 
Eh. Close enough.
(I’m pretty sure some die hard grunge fan just dropped dead right then.)

Well. Of course I’d heard the song before. But, did I know any of the words?
Well, do you?

Cam had me wiki the words the other day. And I admit, I don’t know what a “ledbetter” is. 
While reading through the lyrics I was hoping to find some clue as to what Eddie is talking about.
Nope.
I still have no clue what this song means.

And even though I now know the lyrics (kind of), I still sing it my way:
100% incorrectly, making no sense and sometimes not entirely in the english language.
Boo-yah!

7 comments:

cAM said...

Yellow Ledbetter Lyrics


Then you said, "I wanna leave it again."
Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand. And on the sand I wanna leave
it again. Yeah.
On a weekend I wanna wish it all away, yeah.
And they called and I said that "I want what I said" and then I call out
again.
And the reason oughta' leave her calm, I know.
I said "I know what I wear not the boxer or the bag."

Ah yeah, can you see them out on the porch? Yeah, but they don't wave.
But I see them round the front way. Yeah.
And I know, and I know. I don't want to stay.
Make me cry...

I see... Ooh I don't know why there's something else.
I wanna drum it all away...
Oh, I said, "I don't, I don't know wheather I was the boxer or the bag."

Ah yeah, can you see them out on the porch? Yeah, but they don't wave.
But I see them round the front way. Yeah.
And I know, and I know. I don't wanna stay at all.
I don't wanna stay. Yeah.

cAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cAM said...

...but you all already knew that.

paige said...

My bro Ray is still an obsessed PJ fan. In fact, he was at their concert a few days ago. I'm sure he can tell you what the song means. He can probably also tell you who wrote it, when it was written and what Eddie had for lunch yesterday.

I'll give him ur number.

Ur welcome.

Lysa said...

I like Pearl Jam I saw them in concert. It was cool. like me.

The Mechlings said...

What an outstanding question! A little history on the song first: The music was written by their lead guitarist, Mike McCready as an ode to his favorite guitarist Jimi Hendricks (buried in Seattle.) The studio/radio version was done in one take and appears as the B-side on the Jeremy single. The opening guitar riffs are played on the final episode of Friends. As for the lyrics, there were never any specific lyrics written down by Eddie at the time of the recording or since. Vedder rarely expounds on his writing as to not influence another person's interpretation. Think of his voice as an additional instrument expounding feelings rather than actual words. Live versions of the song he will change/add lyrics relative to the time and place.

(by the way, this is Ray Mechling, Paige's brother)