6.16.2009

The Moisture


I have learned to love the desert. The comforting dryness. The open spaces. The blazing sun. It is home to me now.
But this past week. I have been sent back to New England through the rain.
You see, the desert is quite frugal with rain. It teases, mocks, laughs. You may see a dark rain cloud creeping it's way to your house. And you may smell in the air or feel the temperament of the wind telling you rain is coming. But the desert is just joking. Toying with your emotions, so to speak. Even when we are graced with a spurt of rain, the thirsty ground greedily sucks up all the raindrops, rarely leaving a puddle. And the rain clouds are only permitted to stay a brief moment. Hardly ever a full day.
The sun is far too powerful in the desert. It is a egocentric dictator. The desert sun does not like to share.
But, I guess for the past week the sun has been in hiding. Permitting the rain to run free...for days.
And I have loved every minute of it.
It feels like New England. With every thing being brighter, greener. The earth smells better. The rain slows me down. Quiets the backyard. Makes things calmer. Softer. It's like the earth needed to take a deep breath. Have a moment to itself. Recharge. Reset.
I ran with my sister in law, Lysa, in the rain. It was sprinkling on and off again with a torrential downpour in the middle. Huge elephant tear drops falling in my face, bouncing off the pavement. And I let out a big "WAHOO!" Loud enough so that speedy Lysa, way ahead of me, could hear the smile I had on my face.
We had a sweet hail storm during the middle of last week. The kids and I sat on the front porch watching the ice dance in the grass. Ady asked, "Why is ice falling from the sky?" I said, "Because. The earth must need an ice cold drink today." That made sense to her. I mean, we all need to have an ice cold drink, right?
Very refreshing.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Erin you seriously need to write a book!! You are such a good writer! I love reading your posts. I should attempt to write an interesting entry sometime like that! It's my goal:) You better be at the class tomorrow night! Our last one... woooo hooo!!

Krista said...

refreshing post. I have enjoyed the rain too and catching the minutes of sunshine that we get by sending the kids outside. I wonder if I could live in New England. It just is so beautiful there.

Anonymous said...

You have such a gift to describe things. I would be like, uhhh the rain is cool... ya, and i like to run in it...ya, and its wet...

cAM said...

...so grateful for the moist-ure.

Tamar said...

Magical writing, my dear. Thanks for putting a positive spin on the rain, we in New England have been drenched as well and you just made it all sound so wonderful. Ahhh, gratitude. :)

Anonymous said...

seriously, it makes me emotional, the way you write. You can make me cry over rain. You need to publish something.

GageThompson said...

will you be the writer for my blog? You have an amazing gift..

Anonymous said...

This was so cute...thanks for writing this post. When I was growing up, whenever there was a good thunderstorm my mom would drag us all out onto the porch to watch the rain....maybe she also knew how stingy the Utah rain can be. Good memories.