I love sunflower seeds, but I hate to shell them myself. Mostly because I'm very impatient and not very coordinated.
This summer, thanks to our buddy Jeff, Cam got hooked on this little snack. While we were driving through Bryce Canyon, Cam asked me to give him a handful. I did and watched as he threw a handful of seeds in his mouth and then stated cracking each seed one by one. I asked him why he didn't just buy shelled sunflower seeds. All that work for just one little seed seemed very, very tedious. He, shockingly, had a lengthy and opinionated reply. These are sunflower seeds after all, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Cam has an opinion about, well, everything.
He said that snacking on sunflower seeds was kind of an activity as well as a snack. Not only does this pass the time when your driving or doing anything, but it's also a delicious and healthy snack. Being an inexperienced sunflower seeder I asked how he cracked the seed. He proceeded to tell me his exact method for cracking and eating sunflower seeds. First you put a handful in one side of your mouth, let them soften a little, then crack each one on the other side of your mouth and of course, spit.
It wasn't exactly an interesting conversation, although informative, until I looked on the backside of our David's Ranch Sunflower Seed Package and read the advertising.
This is what it says:
This summer, thanks to our buddy Jeff, Cam got hooked on this little snack. While we were driving through Bryce Canyon, Cam asked me to give him a handful. I did and watched as he threw a handful of seeds in his mouth and then stated cracking each seed one by one. I asked him why he didn't just buy shelled sunflower seeds. All that work for just one little seed seemed very, very tedious. He, shockingly, had a lengthy and opinionated reply. These are sunflower seeds after all, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Cam has an opinion about, well, everything.
He said that snacking on sunflower seeds was kind of an activity as well as a snack. Not only does this pass the time when your driving or doing anything, but it's also a delicious and healthy snack. Being an inexperienced sunflower seeder I asked how he cracked the seed. He proceeded to tell me his exact method for cracking and eating sunflower seeds. First you put a handful in one side of your mouth, let them soften a little, then crack each one on the other side of your mouth and of course, spit.
It wasn't exactly an interesting conversation, although informative, until I looked on the backside of our David's Ranch Sunflower Seed Package and read the advertising.
This is what it says:
Congratulations!
You are a Seeder!
You are a Seeder!
Seeders are unique. They're cool, confident, independent, active and hardworking. They know that eating DAVID Sunflower Seeds makes what they do enjoyable. Things are better with DAVID because they're a snack and an activity. Experience SNACKTIVITY.
How to eat David Seeds
Crack the shell with your teeth, eat the seed and spit the shell. Experienced seeders pop a handful of seeds in their mouth and store them in one cheek, then transfer a seed over to the other side with their tongue, crack it, then eat the seed and spit the shell.
David- Eat. Spit. Be Happy.
Cam is known among some of our friends as the 'insultator' because he likes to tell people what to do and isn't shy about expressing the right way to eat a cheese sandwich. I shouldn't have been surprised that he had just explained the whole sunflower shelling process in detail almost word for word as the sunflower company itself, but I was. Proof that Cam apparently knows how to eat and teach others about sunflower seeds. After all seeders are unique, cool, confident, independent, active and hardworking.
I also love the new term we have in our house: Snacktivity.
And our new motto: Eat. Spit. Be Happy.
Who knew you could get so much from a sunflower seed?
I also love the new term we have in our house: Snacktivity.
And our new motto: Eat. Spit. Be Happy.
Who knew you could get so much from a sunflower seed?

6 comments:
My goodnees I never knew! Paul has been eatting sunflower seed since I've known him. Maybe it's a constuction thing. The kids love getting into his truck to sneak some from his stash. Tell your dear fam to be careful if you eat to many you get the runns becuse of the oil, good oil but it is a nut and don't ask how we know we just do ok.
I too love to Sunflower seeds, I am lazy and apparently love pain though, because sometimes I just eat the shell and seed whole...not pretty, but all the salt helps the cuts on the roof of the mouth heal nicely. Seriously though, I had no idea how cool and confident I must be, for I am a Seeder. Sweeet! And now that I've been informed of the proper process of eating these tasty seeds, perhaps I can avoid any further damage to my mouth! Thanks folks, now I too can Eat. Spit. And Be Happy!
Funny post. Easton has tried all summer to become a seeder himself, but can't wait to get to the seed. So he too eats the whole thing.
Thanks for a good laugh. we love really love our insultator, Cam! The fam is gone and I'm ready to play. I'll call ya!
Spitters are quitters is Cams snacktivity motto
So funny! I haven't checked in in awhile. I feel like this was the summer of the seeds for us as well! Let me know when you have that baby!
Post a Comment