8.10.2008

Mad Cow....Duck?



I'm really sad I didn't have my camera for this. Not because it was funny, although it was, but mainly to document that this duck was 'out to get us' and more importantly that I'm not crazy.
I took this kids to Wheeler Farm last Monday for something to do. It was relatively cool, kind of, and I packed a picnic lunch.
After walking around for a little bit, we went into the barn with all of the antique tractors. Anders could spend a good amount of the day in here, checking everything out. When I finally reached my limit on tractor talk, we walked out of the barn and saw this lone duck hanging out at the entrance.
I pointed it out to the kids saying, "Look guys, a duck. And it has a big bump on it's head." Which it did. And I thought was a little weird. It cocked it's head to the side while I was talking to the kids, which I also thought was a little strange, but didn't give it a second thought. I mean, it's a duck.
Anders, being friendly and out going, said hi to the duck and waved. Ady just stood right next to me and agreed that the duck had a big bump on it's head. We started to leave and noticed that the duck decided to follow us. I told the kids it probably wanted some food, so Anders informed the duck, nicely, that he was sorry but we had no food. Ady felt a little threatened that this duck was following us so close, so she started yanking on my hand to move us faster in the other direction. I told the kids to say good bye to the duck, which they did, and we headed off again.
The duck apparently didn't get the memo.
Anders was now yelling at the duck, "We have no food!!!" as the duck followed us closely. Ady had reached panic mode and was yelling at me to "Run!" So I did. I was running through Wheeler Farm with my nine month belly, holding each of my kids hands being chased by a duck. With a bump on its head. The faster we ran, the faster the duck ran. Anders was laughing hysterically, Ady was crying and I couldn't decide what to do.
We only escaped by distracting the duck with innocent by-standers. (Basically we fled into a crowd of people) It worked! The duck got distracted and moved on to it's next victim.
Now, I'm not normally afraid of animals, much less ducks. But I'm telling you, this duck had it out for us.
So look out for those ducks with the bumps on their heads.
Consider yourself warned.



7 comments:

Rachel said...

I had to laugh as I pictured you and your little ones laughing, crying and running from a DUCK! That's great! When I was little our family would drive from Illinois to Texas almost every summer and there was this cool drive thru zoo (somewhere near St. Louis, MO) that we always had to stop at. They had deer, buffalo, antelope etc. You could buy food before driving thru and the animals would come up to your car window and eat out of your hand. One scary summer, a large buffalo was not satisfied with his small handful of pellets so he thought he should (try to) stick his mellon into our car window to find more food! My sisters and I were terrified and my parents didn't know what to do! Finally after smearing a large amount of buffalo snot all over the car, some inside too, he decided to look elsewhere. As Jeremiah is fond of saying, "They're animals, people, they're unpredictable!" True that!

CUTRER said...

oh sweet Erin how I would have paid money to see you run! As I was reading this I had a vision in my mind of Anders thinking it was awsome & Ady just going into panic mode. I would love to see that Duck in actioin that could make me some money on America Funniest Home Videos! $$$$$

Tamar said...

Hil-ar-i-ous!!!! The image of you and your children running in panic from this freaky deaky duck totally brought back memories of you and I in the back of Jay's car when he decided to push the 100 mark on the speedomitor. You with your hands flapping "We're gonna die!!!" Good times. Good times.

Anonymous said...

A narrow escape, methinks! One of my kids totally got attacked by a goose at a campground one year...so we don't mess with the innocent-looking fowls! P.S. you are one of the cutest pregnant mamas I've ever seen..can't wait for your little adorable to get here!

Emma said...

Wow, I really wish I could have seen that. You are one cute prego lady. By the way, I'm sitting here at work just waiting for you to walk through the door huffing and puffing.

GageThompson said...

I can't stop laughing. This is the funniest thing ever! Why couldn't I have been there to be a witness. You are too funny!

Krista said...

Oh, I so wish I could've been a spectator. That is the funniest thing ever!