6.18.2008

Reaction


So, whilst I was blog surfing, I stumbled upon this random post. Take a look.
I am a timidly opinionated person. I have my two cents about most things, and usually only Cam gets the gist of what I think and feel. I just figure there are plenty of opinions out there. And I guess I'm kind of picky with whom I share my thoughts. A little bit of insecurity and avoidance, I realize, but when you live with someone as opinionated and out-spoken as Cam the talking usually gets done for me.
Anywho, that's not my point today. Basically I read this random post, obviously written to provoke a discussion or at least some commenting, and felt my heart sting. It's been buzzing in my brain ever since. My initial reaction was, "What is wrong with people? Reduce your carbon footprint by not having children?" It seemed like a sorry excuse for not wanting to experience, well, life. I'm puzzled that this is the reason why some people live the way they do. I simply just don't get it. And quite frankly, don't believe it.
I'm definitely pro-environment. I think it's important to take care of our planet. But in no way do I think that having more or any children makes this world harder to take care of. I would love a big family. Oodles and oodles of kids. (If only I didn't have to be pregnant. yeesh.) And I think if you ask any father or mother out there if they should have had less kids to help the planet you would get the ultimate stink-eye.
Seeing as I am already on my soapbox, allow me to be outlandish and state having a family makes life fuller, richer and more worthwhile, whether it reduces your carbon footprint or not.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Erin,

I read the same post and was shocked. I can't believe this was even written. I agree with you fully and am glad you said something. I was thinking it, just not saying it. So is Crunchy saying we should not have kids? Is this her opinion? Craziness. My child makes me happier than anything else on the planet. If you ask me having a child reduces my footprint because I am not out there spending money on foolish crap that I don't need just because I am bored. There are so many people out there that just buy "stuff" to make them happy. My child makes me happy, and someday I hope to have another one.

Crunchy Chicken said...

Howdy ho! Thanks for visiting my post about kids and the environment. I posted about that as a result of a comment made on a peak oil discussion I was having the previous day.

The commenter declared that having no kids was the most environmental thing you could do and didn't need to do anything else. The attitude was one of smugness and self-righteousness.

It was a comment that I didn't want hidden in the middle of another post and wanted to get other people's feedback. As you can see, there were a lot of people arguing on both sides.

For the record, I have two children. I am in no way saying that you shouldn't have kids. I initially had written a lot more in the post, but decided to remove it to give people a chance to air out their beliefs without my input.

Rachel said...

Wowie! Some of the comments from that post were so incredible (and obviously by people who have no children!)! Not to get all preachy, but I'm about to, what the heck do some people think this world was intended for in the first place? To sit around in (just Adam and Eve, mind you because according to some they should never have started this whole crazy procreation thing in the first place!) and simply marvel at the beauty of? The world was not made for only a few to see and enjoy and (gasp) utilize! There is a plan people. Look it up! OK, I'm done.

Anonymous said...

I personally think Rachel did a great job summing up exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow Erin, way to get a rise!

Anonymous said...

Hey, i know, lets not have any more kids, than the population can die off and the world will look so beautiful, and "green" and there wont be anyone here to enjoy it!!! SPLENDID IDEA!!![idiot]

Annie said...

Hey E- How are you? I have not heard from you in awhile. When is the baby due...or is she already here? I miss you!

A-

Rachel said...

Erin,
Where in the blog are you? I hope things are going well with your pregnancy and family.