This is what I fell asleep thinking about last night.
Very scary.
Now, as stated previously, I realize that I am somewhat wimpy. About gross and scary things. Okay. About most things. But this should be scary to anyone. I can't believe I'm actually posting about this picture. It gives me the chills just thinking about it.
So, a couple of months ago the lovely ten o'clock news did a story on this terrifying fish sound dead near Utah Lake. Although from afar Utah Lake appears to be a pretty and refreshing lake, up close is a different story. When Cam and I lived in Provo we spent many early mornings and late evenings skiing in the murky, stinky, bug infested water with my die-hard pro water-skiing brother-in-law Scott and his family. It wasn't until I was taken into the Utah Lake Visitors Center by our good friend Jeramy to see the actual fish living in Utah Lake that I started feeling sketchy about the whole thing. He innocently told me he wanted to show me some fish. How harmful could that be? Little did I know that Utah Lake is infested with the Walleye fish which actually have teeth!!! He assured me that they were very 'shy' fish, but really all I could think about every time I got in the water were these sharp-tooth fish as the Jaws soundtrack was playing in my head.The last time I skied on Utah Lake was with Cam, Scott, Lysa and their kids. I was being towed a little, letting the line get tight, ready to say 'Hit It' when I looked over and saw a dead fish floating a couple feet away. I though I had an arrangement with the fish. I won't notice you if you don't notice me. Now, there he was belly up and floating closer to me by the second. Of course I freaked and yelled 'hit it' only to lose my balance and fall back into the water closer to the fish. I felt like a sitting duck, bobbing in the water as the boat came around to give me the rope. I was almost in full out panic mode. I tried to get up one more time, but fell again. By this time I was done. I kept yelling to pull me in the boat as the dead fish scooted closer and closer. Scott kept pushing me to try and get up again. But by this time full panic had set in and I was dragging myself toward the boat yelling, "Get me out of here!!" while I was half laughing and half crying. Lysa, thank goodness, finally realized the seriousness of the situation and helped pull me in. Whew.
I realize it's just a fish and they don't attack you, blah, blah, blah. But at the moment it felt like there were a million fish all around me. That was the last time I went skiing in Utah Lake.
So, when the news reported on this decaying fish found near the lake it disturbed me but also confirmed my suspicions: Utah Lake is nasty.

5 comments:
ohh. you are right I would be totally spooked. I actually debated reading further because I was worried I would get scared in the future out in the water too. When I first saw the pic and read "utah lake" I thought, this pic must be a long piranha. I think that would be very scary too. (Remember talk about that back in the day?)
amen sista...utah lake is N-A-S-T-Y!
I have heard about this fish. Is this the same fish that swims in Pine View Res? I don't even know if that is the name of it...the lake up Wasatch canyon...anyway, I have heard about these fish and they absolutely freak me out. I have given a great deal of thought to this subject you see I am deathly afraid to go in the water. I love water sports, but I can't seem to get my mind to get over my "water fear" These fish (sharks) are the reason for that. Thanks for the post...and the awful picture:)
I was laughing so hard at this post... I probably woke Cohen up.
I am so glad my husband was the one to introduce you to the fish. He has a love for fish only he can understand. creepy
Post a Comment