2.02.2010

Telepathy



(Cam as Bumblebee)

I have a dream.

A dream where I can tell people what I want, or what I'm thinking without actually saying it.

Actually, one specific person: Cam.

Because telepathy seems to be very intimate. Personal. I mean, you are reading someones thoughts. And I would only let very few people into the cobwebs of my brain. Cam, being pretty much the only one. He should feel lucky.

(Anyway. To get to the point. Because I do have one.)

Around 9 o'clock every night, I shut down. I sit. And I don't want to move. Not even a finger. Turning the page of a book is even a daunting task. So. I plant myself in a snuggly spot and retire. Whether reading, blogging, watching, talking, listening, or staring into space my main objective is to not move.

Why am I like this? Well. You must know.

It's the energizer bunnies of children that run around all day, with me trying to keep up. It's exhausting. And at 9 o'clock (ish) at night, my job is, for the most part, on pause. So I decide to pause myself. Makes sense right?

Here's where the telepathy comes in. To be blunt: I'm lazy. But I still want things. Like a snack, or a back scratch, or an opinion. But being on pause at these moments doesn't really help to get what I want. So, I wish I could tell Cam to get them. But I'm too tired sometimes to even utter the request. (Like last night. I had a major conflict. A full bladder vs a warm snuggly bed. I actually thought, 'maybe cam will carry me to the bathroom.' Because that is how my laziness works and thinks. I can't help it.)

How much easier would it be if I could just email my thoughts to him and have him get right up and get whatever I need? That would be awesome. I mean, beyond awesome.

Except, the more I analyze this post, the more I'm beginning to think it isn't so much telepathy that I want as much as mind control. To be able to tell someone (Cam) through their thoughts exactly what I want and have then wordlessly obey...that is definitely not telepathy.I want to be the one sending the thoughts, but do I really want to be receiving them?

Oh bother. I haven't thought this through obviously.

I don't think I would want to play around with mind control. I mean, just typing it has negative connotations. But further analysis made me think about two-way mind control.

What if Cam would be able to tell me his requests, constantly and wordlessly? Just his random thoughts that pop into my head.

Yikes!!!!

We all know that he would have only one request.

And you don't need telepathy to know what that is.

7 comments:

Krista said...

oh erin you are soooo funny. I'm totally laughing. I loved the bathroom thought too. Sometimes I wish that too. Then I think (because I'm reading "these is my words" again,) what if I had an outhouse? I'd die! I'd never pee. I would die seriously. It is too cold to pee outside!

cAM said...

My only request...let them eat cake!

Anonymous said...

you are so funny. So actually you want a robotic Cam that grants your every request and yet is too dumb to ask for anything in return...wait a minute, is there a way to make this so? we could be millionaires!

Anonymous said...

and, I love that cam as bumblebee is the picture for this post.???

paige said...

i can't imagine what cam's request would be?! maybe instead of email, you could text cam ahead of time, before you get too tired to text. then just push send at 9 pm. i'm sure he'll make all your dreams come true. the end.

Tamar said...

Ha! You are the most awesome modern-day-female-version of Pooh bear and i love it!! And I am so with you on the "laziness", I am often found whining on the couch at late hours of the night..."Biiiiillll. I'm soooo hungrrryyyy. But I'm too tired to get upppppp." He just looks at me and laughs, he has no sympathy. I either get off my butt eventually or starve. Boo. I guess i feel a bit like Eyeore.

Benjamin said...

I've always thought a great invention would be some way for a person to brush their teeth from the couch without getting up to go to the bathroom. That way Ben could bring me the toothbrush and take it back without my ever getting out from under the blanket.