1.10.2010

shadow


it’s groundhog day over here. not as in the actual day, where we hope for a short winter through the shadow of an over sized rodent. but as in the bill murray, andie mcdowell groundhog day. i’m stuck in constant repetition.

i always wondered, ‘why are librarians so cranky and reproachful?“ i realize now, it’s because their job is to put everything back in it’s place. much like i do. running around after my kids while they dishevel everything. i am the ‘picker-upper’. i am the librarian. telling them where to go to find things, asking them to constantly be quiet, and putting things back in their designated place. it’s exhausting. and horribly repetitious. no wonder librarians scowel when they see my Estela rearranging the perfectly alphabetized movies.
these librarians and i are caught in a perpetual ground hog day.

and with that, the daily repetitions of folding laundry, sweeping floors, reading the same beloved book over and over and over, changing diapers, getting drinks, doing dishes, parts get lost. the parts of you, that make you like being you. and before you know it, viola, you're a librarian.

or...a talking head. maybe?





2 comments:

Lysa said...

Erin, I love you. And I love that you chose a Kermit the frog version of this..not bc you think it will be funny but simply bc you like it better. And thats one of the reasons I love you. You appreciate this and I can hear you laughing as you watch it over and over.
I love the comparison of the mom to the librarian. Its so true. Maybe I shouldnt be so afraid of them.

paige said...

you are insightful my dear friend. And, I really wish my freakin' speakers were working on my computer b/c that clip looks potentially as funny as your post.