3.30.2009

Crush (or Oh, Dear part 2)




This is essentially an extension of the previous post. A little encore to Ady's obvious embarrassment.

The following day, after Ady's frustrated admition of being *gasp* smooched on the cheek, the whole pre-school met for a field trip at the local Burger King's playland. Before we could leave to pick up Ady's cousin, she grabbed a piece of paper and aksed, "Mom, how do you spell Dear Holland, Don't ever kiss me again?"

"Umm...what are you doing Ads?" I asked, smiling.

"I'm just writing a letter to Holland. I don't want that to ever happen again." Ady replied, matter-of-factly.

"Oh. Alright." I giggled, very quietly.

I then dictated the spelling of every word Ady wanted to write. She wrote his name in large letters on a white envelope, folded the note and sealed it up.

When we got to Burger King, Ady was obviously distraught. She could not eat her lunch, play with her friends or even smile until Holland had read the note and understood her scribbles. And she could not hand deliver the note, she needed a messanger. Me.

After I found Holland, climbing the 'spider-man' net, I delivered the note saying, "Hi Holland. I'm Ady's mom. She wanted you to have this."

Holland took the note with a quizzical look and marched off to his mom.

Ady grabbed my hand, pulled me to our booth and sat, staring directly at Holland as he read the note. Fortunately, Ady's teacher had witnessed her panic attacks and already told Hollands mom of the 'kiss'. Thankfully, Hollands mom told him to apologize to Ady, which he did. Ady then became a different person. Her little scowl vanished. Her frustrated demeanor eased up and she actuall let go of my arm. She ran off with her friends and became the Ady I see everyday.

I did notice one thing. Every time Holland would come down from the playland to get a drink, talk to his mom, or munch on some fries, Ady would follow. And she would sit next to me, munch on her food with both eyes glued to Holland. Then when Holland left his table Ady woulld promptly put down what she was doing and run to the playland with him.
Yep, a light bulb went off.
Ady has her first crush.

5 comments:

Krista said...

oh this is too funny. I love that you were the "messenger." :)

Anonymous said...

that is so cute, i love the way you write it. but you left out the part where the other mom turned to us and said "im not suppossed to tell, but the buzz around the preschool is that Holland is going to kiss ady" to which we informed her it had already happened.

Annie said...

Reading this made me smile...thanks!!

Gretchen J said...

That is the cutest story, I love her! She could teach Emma a few things!! You have to get a picture of the two of them together, we must see the first crush!!
Luvs,
Gretchen

CUTRER said...

The light went off because she just learn how to play the game! She now knows that if you like some one you make them think you don't... Oh how fun good luck Erin