11.06.2008

Sentimental



I was downstairs looking for some toy with Anders, which coincidentally occupies a lot of my time, and I heard Ady bawling upstairs. I ran up to find out what had happened and see her sitting on the table next to Estela. Ady is in hysterics saying, "Estela. I love you so much. Don't ever leave me. You are the best little sister, ever. I just love you so so so much." After suppressing a giggle, I asked Ady what was going on and she repeated, " I just love my little sister. So much. I don't ever want her to leave." All this was said between massive sobs. I consoled her by saying, "Do you just need to cry for a minute?" "Yeah..." was her teary reply. And then I gave her a good bear hug. After that, she hopped down from the table and went on her merry way. I realized that Ady had just had her first true female moment. When emotions runs high and the cup runs over...
I was trying to explain this to Cam, Ady's little emotional meltdown, and his reply was to scrunch up his face and say, "I don't get it."
Ben Folds has a song called, I Used To Be A Sentimental Guy. It pretty much sums up my husband. My only edit would be to change the title to: I Once Had A Sentimental Moment.
I don't see his 'sentimental' side too often. In fact, I think the last time I actually saw him cry was when we had our first miscarriage, before Adysen was born. Even then, after about twenty minutes of emotion he jokingly said, "Should we go and bury the maxi pad in the back yard?"
Oh bother.

Photo courtesy of Anders.

7 comments:

Annie said...

This was a super sweet post. You really captured the moment! What a little doll. She sounds like an amazing big sister. In some ways I hope our next baby is a girl so that I can get these kinds of moments with her. For some reason, I don't think I will be getting them with my big tough little boy:) Oh and Anders may have a future in photography!

lucy said...

seriously thanks for the laugh. This is one of my fav. blogs because it often makes me laugh!

CUTRER said...

Well Erin I wish I could give you some comferting words on how after 13 yrs of being married it will be better.. Well I don't Paul shed a tear on the day J was born over 12 yrs ago. And now that R is getting to the girl stage of life he tells me "you deal with it, it's a girl thing" We should have a moment of silence for the Maxi pad that lost it life....... Ok moment over.

Krista said...

oh...how I love to get a good laugh from your blog.

Anonymous said...

cameron is morbid

Annalisa said...

This is so funny! Remember in college when we went to see Armageddon and we start to hear some sniffles and we look over and Cam is totally crying. Somewhere in there he must have a soft spot :)

GageThompson said...

I think Cameron is totally sentimental...maybe I don't know him so well...
How cute is little Ady, I love her!