10.23.2008

i heart this


We love the library over here. Well, my kids love the movie section, random art and crafts and sometimes looking through the books. But I have a sweet tooth for children's books. Especially books with unique and original art work. Add to that an uplifting and humorous message and you have this fantastic book, Agate. ( I feel like I should be on Reading Rainbow right now......)
Now, I'm often teased for my love of silly animals. (i.e. Estela's owl shirt - which is really cute btw - and Ady's pigs...ok and Anders frogs) But I can't help it. They make me laugh.
Agate is about a moose, obviously, who thinks he is no good compared to all of his extraordinary friends. The author highlights most of the worlds gems and attributes them to an animal. In the end Agate, also a gem - which I had never heard of before - finds that he is special along with all of his friends.

I fell in love with the illustrations though. Abstract water-colors of an alligator, elephant and giraffe came in a close second to the moose. I love the pictures of the moose throughout the book. I wonder if I can find prints somewhere, because I would seriously hang these up in my house.

Needless to say, if your looking for a cozy book to read to your little ones, or even one you want to enjoy...try to find this rare gem. (yes, the pun was totally intended) I think this is going to be a definite Christmas gift for my little ones, and maybe some others!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want it too!!!

paige said...

thanks for the recommendation. I was totally laughing about the beginning when you said your kids love the movie section at the library. So do mine, and it's totally embarrassing. As sson as we enter the library doors, they bolt to the movie section screaming "let's go get a MOVIE!!!!" Hmmmm, what happened to the old days when you went to get books???

CUTRER said...

I miss reading these types of books with the kids. Now that they are older they pick there own and don't jump up on your lamp to read them (if they did I would fall over with how big they are now) Jordan is 12 and sitting him on my lap to read would be funny since he is almost as tall as me.

Anonymous said...

I go nuts over beautiful children's books. I could seriously spend a small fortune! Thanks for the recommendation.

Krista said...

Ok so we checked this book out b/c of you and sisi loves it. thanks for the recommendation. She loves saying the phrase "what good is a moose" but she gets it a little mixed up and says "what a good moose" :)