Let's start this post off by allowing myself a little pat on the back. I was really brave today. At least that's how I'm going to spin it. Looking back on my decision to take my three kids to the mall...by myself...could be considered as stupidity. But, labeling it braveness makes me feel much, much better.
First of all, I wasn't going to the mall to just look around. I had a purpose. I had to return a cute dress that Jill, Cam's mom, bought Estela. So, my plan was to go to the Baby Gap, return the item and leave. Of course I bribed my kids with a tempting gum ball if they stayed by the stroller and didn't go off running like crazed kids who are never let out of the house.
Well, the bribed worked for the most part. My kids did run a couple laps around the mall and stroller, but nothing was necessarily out of control, meaning I didn't lose any of them. Estela was my angel, simply sleeping.
It wasn't until I heard Anders yell, "OW. Ow. OOOOOWWWW!" that I became a little concerned.
First of all, Anders is obsessed with the escalator. Or as he calls it, the alligator. It's better than an amusement park ride. I turmed around to find Anders crying on the floor with his hand stuck inside the rail of the escalator. Apparently he was holding onto the railing, following it all the way around until it ended in a little hole, where his hand fit snuggly. Having his hand stuck had pulled the emergency shutdown button for the escalator, so thankfully it had stopped. But his little hand was shoved tightly in. I started to panic a little. I didn't know how I was going to get his hand out. So I did what any mom would do. I yanked it out. Luckily there was no major damage, jut a couple scrapes. And after a big hug, Anders was back to running circles around me. (He was being a skateboarder.)
During all the commotion of trying to unstick Anders, a mother with two little kids was walking down the escalator. Her kids were obviously curious about the attached crying boy, asking what had happened. The mother then stated smugly and loudly, "This little boy was playing on the escalator when he shouldn't have been. Now, he's stuck. That's why you should never play on the escalator." I gave her the best crusty look I could manage while trying to console my little three year old. Although it's true, the advice she gave to her kids, her presentation and timing could not have been more wrong. I mean, really lady? Have a heart. Sheesh.
I've decided for being my first outing truly out numbered by kids, it wasn't that bad. Or it could have a been a lot worse. Thankfully Anders kept his hand and only my pride was hurt, a little.
Of course, five minutes after the whole event was behind us, Anders looked up at me with his big eyes and asked, " Do I still get a gummy ball, mom? I'm being very good, now."
9.10.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
scary!! K got his hand stuck in an elevator once. He had his hand on the door as it opened and it got stuck. No fun. And good job on the crusty look. Did you spit on her too?
you are sooooo brave!!! I don't think I took all three out (in public) solo for a long time. Way to go!
My kids love the "alligator" too. When we're at the airport and have long layovers, we always head for the escalator which is entertainment for hours!
You are my idol!! I can't imagine going to the mall with 3 kids, you are a serious SuperMom! I think we need to hunt that lady down and teach her a lesson. I'll send Isaac after her! I think that little Anders is a little Cameron!!
Erin I would have given that lady a crust till she cried, its probably good i wasnt with you.
Glad he escaped relatively unscathed, and I'm sorry about the insensitive mother! Like that was helpful...
First of all--OH MY GOSH! OUCH! Poor Anders. Secondly, you are an incredible Mom, and very brave--bravo!! Thirdly, that stinky-head lady can go eat worms! What is with people?? From a mom of three, let me tell you, I understand! And sadly, the snide, ill-timed, though perhaps (grrrr) "well meaning" comments from other parents (who should understand, or at least sympathize, but for some reason DON'T...perhaps because they are not as out-numbered as you are now and cannot possibly begin to understand....blah, I could go ON!) will not end here. I never cease to be amazed at how easily people can let their opinions fly out toward strangers like baby vomit expelled projectile style...only diff.? Baby vomit is tolerable because it's coming from the cute little lovie that belongs to you. Whew! Ok, done with my rant. I'm very protective of my dear friend, and now fellow mother of three...I'm right in the trenches with ya! Love you!! :)
Post a Comment