
Blech. That's how I feel. It has been a miserable two weeks at our home, and I'm feeling whiny.
So, now that my kids are healthy again, (knock on wood) we are adjusting back to a normal routine. Except for Ady and bedtime. Because of the paranoia I have for croup I made the mistake of letting Ady sleep with us. A big mistake. She now has rebelled from bedtime and sleeping in general. For instance, Ady was awake at 2:30 the other night fussing about something and I was taking the extinction method. I wasn't talking to her at all. I would just get up and put her back into her room. Sounds simple, but every time I had to drag myself out of bed my patience would be depleted a little. After 2 1/2 hours of this scenario, I caved. It wasn't a pretty mommy moment. I put her in the guest room downstairs and locked the door. Ady was terrified, but after 5 minutes in there she promised to go up to her room and right to sleep. And she did, but it was 5 in the morning and Cam and I were wide awake, adrenaline pumping through our veins.
As Cam and I sat in bed, trying to fall back asleep, we were talking about what methods we should take to get this behavior under control. It had been two weeks since either of us had had a full uninterrupted night of sleep. We desperately needed to find the magic combination. We were also talking about how much resentment and frustration we had with Ady. I just couldn't understand why she wouldn't just go to bed. It didn't compute in my brain. "It's 2 in the morning. Go to sleep!" was all I could think. I was starting to take this night waking problem as a personal attack, as though Ady was purposefully trying to make my life miserable.
Obviously, after some sleep (a good 2 hours later) and some separation (Cam took the kids to Coo-Coo and Grandpa's house to let me rest a little longer) I received some clarity. Or just a defogging of the brain. It wasn't an epiphany or any new enlightened understanding, but a simple reminder: Oh yeah, this is a test.
I knew when I signed up to be a mom that there would be hard times, disagreements, sacrifices, loss of privacy, unrelenting demands, non-stop discussions about inexplicable topics and most of all insomnia. And although I'm exhausted thinking about it all, there is nothing better than being greeted in the morning by a pair of big blue eyes asking, "Did I sleeped all day night mommy?" All the frustration quickly melts away when I see the silly, quirky and loving things my kids do for me and for each other. With all those sleepless nights and patience-testing arguments at the end of the day there is no one I would rather be with than my family, even if it is at 2 in the morning.
9 comments:
oh...whine whine whine all you want I'm sorry dude. You need a vacation...like tomorrow! Why don't you bring your kids over sometime. I'm serious and you go home and nap for a bit. We live so close.
And the night that Trev and I are suppose to take you out and away from the trapped house.....I fail you! I am so sorry, I was so sick with a migraine, I even thought drilling a hole in my head to relieve pressure was a good idea! Please forgive me!!!
I hear you and we have been there! I swear that Alex wakes up more than he did when he was a new born baby at times. It drives me insane. Plus he has taken to getting up at 5 in the morning turning on his light and getting out all his toys. He just starts playing like it's morning, ugg! What is the deal?
I feel your pain! We have been in that situation SO MANY TIMES. Extinction method does work, but you have to remember that the learning curve is "it gets worse before it gets better." If you can keep reminding yourself of that and stick with it (and believe me I know how hard that is when you are pregnant and exhausted!)things will get back to normal. Take it from me, we just came off of a year of the type of night-time battles you have just described and the only reason why we struggled for so long is because we were not consistent. And bed time battles lead to sleep deprivation which leads to behaviour problems which leads to Mommy-guilt--agghhh! Once we became consistent it took only a few weeks. Remember, it takes 21 days to build a habit! You can do it!! In the meantime, hang in there and do what you've already begun to do, take a deep breath and remeber all the cute things that make these struggles worth it. Love ya!
I love the not so perfect day blogs. I think all mom's relate. Hope you had a good time in Hawaii
I'd love to feel sorry for you, but you're in Hawaii and I'm still stuck here freezing my butt off in Utah! You suck! Call us when you get back...Weezie's going to be here and we can go do something! Wooohooo!
What??? You're in Hawaii??? Jealous!!!!!!! I expect a full account when you get back so that I can visualize and transport myself there vicariously through you. Seriously though, you absolutely deserve the break, hope you are having the best time EVER. Lots of love!! T
so, so sorry and very impressed that you guys don't give in. It's shameful but I admit I have kids in my bed more often than not.
hey I want to hear about your trip...any good towel stories on the balcony?
Post a Comment