Being the scientist he is, my dad can always relate a part of life to some theory or cosmic explanation. It's very fascinating and awe-inspiring to sit down and listen to my dad attempt to explain the equations of life. (It's also very fascinating that I am even related to him because our brains work very differently. Where he can visualize and comprehend things like chemical compounds and their different reactions, I can, well, I cannot.)
So, not too long ago, my dad started to explain Chaos Theory to Cam and I, along with a number of other very interesting theories that got lost in my brain crash of '07. (By the way, that happens yearly.) For some reason Chaos Theory lodged itself into the safe storage part of my brain.
This is the Wikipedia definition:
In mathematics and physics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that may exhibit dynamics that are highly sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, which manifests itself as an exponential growth of perturbations in the initial conditions, the behavior of chaotic systems appears to be random. This happens even though these systems are deterministic, meaning that their future dynamics are fully defined by their initial conditions, with no random elements involved. This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.
To which I reply, "Huh?"
After my dad had tried to explain Chaos Theory scientifically, speaking in molecules and atoms and something about constant motion he got the idea to speak 'Erin'. Basically he put it in 'mom' terms due to obvious reasons. He explained Chaos Theory as this: After you spend all day cleaning up the house and organizing, your kids/dad comes home and all of the sudden 'ka-boom' it looks like nothing has ever been put away nor has a dish ever been done. This is Chaos theory, the world trying to maintain a constant state of chaos.
That's when the little ding goes off in my head , saying, "Wait a minute. That happens to me. I am in constant chaos."
So you see, the reason why it seems like every time we do something that leads to organization or a state of rest, that little pesky chaos gets the memo and dives in to liven things up a bit.
My recent interactions with chaos:
-Coming downstairs to find every cushion off the couch and my two little kids bouncing from one big pile of cushions to the next.
-Anders thinking the couch was a piece of paper, signing his name all over it with a ball point pen. (A huge thanks to mom for helping get that one out.)
-Anders getting a step stool to open the fridge and eating almost a whole costco size carton of go-gurts. (Repeat this only using bite-size chocolate donuts)
-Ady finding an outfit to wear. This entails emptying every drawer to see ALL of her options. Then changing maybe 10 to 20 times a day.
-Cam coming home from work, leaving a trail of papers, shoes, belts wherever he goes.
So, I thank you Chaos Theory for giving me the reason behind the insanity.
1.17.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I--Love--It!! Finally an explaination...chaos is just a scientific and expected part of normal life. Wow. I feel so much better. Sweet! So great to see you posting again, yay!!
I speak "Erin" too. I was reading the wiki definition and then after about 2 sentences I asked myself if I had any idea what I read...which was NO! I live in constant chaos in my house too. I made sisi clean up EVERY toy this afternoon in her room and she cried the whole time. She enjoys the chaos a little too much. AND Johnny...well he is the definition of Chaos. I mean, is it really necessary to have 4 pairs of man shoes blocking the doorway! Why have a shoe closet when there is a door!
Erin you are hillarious. Thank you for cheering up my days
by the way, that wasnt Senekah it was me, and I have no idea why the chaos is saying i am Senekah...
This was HILARIOUS! Great post.
Post a Comment