I was sitting at the dinner table for Thanksgiving, listening to all the conversations about marathons, schools, family and such. It was easy and interesting conversation, but every time I tried to say something, the only words that came out sounded like, "blah blah blah". I felt like the school teacher from Charlie Brown. Not that I have ever been well-spoken, but I can normally keep up with and add to conversations. Now it feels like I'm on a continual 7 second delay.
I spend the majority of my day with a two and three year old, which act as my excuse for my mushy brain. Now a days, when I am actually talking to friends I find my brain exhausted from all the conversation and BIG words. Also, I am not used to people actually speaking in a normal tone. I wonder if I could keep up on the conversation if people could only whine to me or speak in an overly excited tone. I have reverted back to pre-school. oh bother.
So, as to stop this deterioration in its tracks I went to webster's dictionary website's word of the day. I figure I could handle inserting some new words other than, "stop that. don't. say please. yes. no." into my vocab. Maybe I could even get back a few brain cells! (cross my fingers) So, here is the word for today:
kvetch \KVECH\, intransitive verb:
1. To complain habitually.
noun:
1. A complaint.
2. A habitual complainer.
Seriously. Kvetch. Riiight. Like I am going to be able to figure out how to sneak kvetch into my vocab naturally. I'm not sure I even want to. Do people even say 'kvetch'? Sheesh.
5 comments:
You're a crack head
Erin-
You are HiLarious!!!! I think most stay at home moms can really agree with this. You are so funny!
Read my blog, all I ever do is kvetch. Kvecth, kvetch, KVETCH, kvetch, kvetch! (Wow, try typing that word five times fast!) I can totally relate to your life right now...I actually signed up for "word of the day" on my yahoo page a couple of years ago and was also sadly disapointed, they repeated the same words often and most of them were either words I'd never want or need to use in a normal convo, or stupid vocab words I remember from 9th grade English...c'mon people! Starving Mommy brains in need here!! I love you, you could say Blah Blah Blah to me all day long and I'd relish the sound of it. :)
I love reading your blog, your stories are so fun.
btw Kvetch is Yiddish and we use it all the time, but since it's not the norm I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that our fam uses it quite often (three girls remember and with them comes alot of Kvetching)!
Post a Comment