9.25.2009

Brace Yourself








Sad but true.
I am getting braces…again.
Four years in high school wasn’t enough for me.
I mean, I had such a hard time parting with them the first time around. I just had to experience the discomfort again.
Who could say no to not fully chewing your food for at least a week and a half each month? Hmmmmm?


The real reason is this: I have a baby tooth. A thirty year old baby tooth. And it is dying. I would say aging, gracefully. But that would be a lie. It is down right turning gray , roots are shriveling up and dying. It also has a lovely cavity. The size of Jupiter.


At my last appointment the dentist threatened me, saying, “We need to take care of this thing, or it might fall out.”


To me, that is my worst nightmare.


Literally.


I have had nightmares. Only to wake up, drenched in sweat, heave a huge sigh of relief and run my tongue across my upper teeth to find the tooth still snuggly stuck in there. For now.


So, now I get to have braces on, to make room for a lovely implant. That will, hopefully, never fall out.


The orthodontist said six months. Should I get my teenage heart hopes up and believe him? I mean, six months? I can do six months, right?


But, we all know those orthodontists and their obsessive compulsive desire to straighten things. Sheesh.


So. Pray for me. That I will be able to chew again someday. And that it will be over in six months.


And for me, eat a whole bunch of these.

(chocolate cinnamon bears...)


Because they are my favorite. And I can’t have them anymore. 





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're back in YW, so it's really only fitting. Who's the new girl?
-cAM

onnuh said...

Oh, Erin. I'm so sorry. Six months isn't too bad though. You'll probably make them look sexy anyway.

Anonymous said...

YOu are going to he HOT! total babe on fire in braces! We will spoon feed you mush once a month and put red lipstick on you that is smeared all over your mouth, then you can see what its like to get old. Then you feel better, you will be grateful that you are heading in the other direction..back to the teenage years. uuuggghh, they both sound horrible. Six months isnt bad. You should get pregnant too so that you can be doubly miserable and then just get them both over with.

Krista said...

yum choc cinnamon bears!! I will eat those for you. If I must, I must. I do what I can to help. Now, you know you are already so youthful looking, you may get looks for being a teenage parent with 3 kiddos. :) You will be so hot though! Can we please get a pic. I kind of want braces too for my snaggle tooth on the bottom. I always catch apples and popcorn in it...You are lucky my dear. :) kind of. I will pray for you that it's just the 6 months. Seriously, 6 months is not bad.

Anonymous said...

All of the sudden I have this really stong desire to go to the store and buy some chocolate gummy bears. Hopefully I'll have sweet dreams tonight. Go for the braces! It'll be worth it. Good luck!

Annalisa said...

Agh! I'm sorry but only kind of because misery loves company. Right? I'm right behind you...

Tamar said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Boo. I feel your pain. I must agree though, you are one of the few lucky ones who looks hot with braces. I guess that's because your overall hotness factor is so incredibly high that adding sparkling metal brackets to your mouth just adds to your charm and good looks. Rarrr, baby!!! It will be over before you know it. Just keep focusing on that awesome feeling of sliding your tongue over your teeth after the braces come off and they are so smooth. Niiiiccccce.