4.03.2009

Learned

I over think. Everything. From every angle. I didn't realize how much time I would have to devout to thinking, but when you're folding laundry, driving kids around, doing dishes, making sandwiches, wiping bums you have a lot of time to just, think.
So, I was reflecting over the random events of the week and compiled a list of valuable lessons I've learned this week. Thought I'd share.


1. Attitude is everything. It filters all that we do, adheres to our beliefs and ultimately defines our future path. What you decide to see is truly what you will get.

2. Sometimes the only retaliation is a good Indian Burn. I haven't received a good Indian Burn since I was, maybe, seven. Nor have I instigated one for as long. But, after hearing a hilarious story from a friend about being at a concert and constantly being hit in the head by an annoying body surfer she decided to do what everyone was thinking and gave the culprit a good Indian Burn, I came to the conclusion that Indian Burns aren't used enough. It should be at least listed in the top ten of self defense maneuvers, right next to knee him in the groin....

3. Dog treats are for dogs only. Not people. Anders informed me of this valuable piece of information. Truly, one to be noted.

4. The body will only change and mold under stress. Jillian Michaels informed me of this truth while doing squats and bicep curls. At the same time. Hopefully the body will change, become stronger, if not for those tempting Krispy Kreme doughnuts that scream at me. (In a nice voice, of course.) But, I also thought that this lesson applied spiritually and emotionally as well, not just physically. I'm not saying that all life-altering and a-ha inspiring moments have to be stressful. But, lets face it, making decisions and changes are stressful. And without that stress, or motivation to change, we (or I...I realize I'm projecting here) become stagnant. It is the stress that makes us push to be better and strive for who we know we can become.

5. "Girl's Rule and Boy's Drool." It's a fact. I'm just stating the obvious here.

6. Inspiration is everywhere. I have a handful of favorite blogs that I follow. People whom I have never met but am constantly entertained and inspired by. People are pouring out their hearts and their thoughts everywhere and about everything. And it is very often genuine, refreshing and mostly inspiring.

7. Bone crushing bear hugs may be unwanted, even feared but are very often the solution for turning that frown upside down. (Just stay away from Cam's bear hugs. Sometimes the bone crushing can become a reality...or at least it may literally take your breath away. And not in the romantic sense. Just a warning...)

8. Cleaning up is not fun. Not fun at all. (Best said in a very whiny and tired five year old voice.)

7 comments:

Emily Redd said...

Love it! So true! What's up? We miss the old neighborhood already. Maybe it just takes some getting use to this one, although I think I will love it here eventually. It's great for the kids though, tons of kids. I love the thing about wiping bums....when do they become old enough to do it on their own? I have double the wipage...is that word?

Anonymous said...

GOOD THOUGHTS ERIN. i like the one that bodies only mold under stress. very true. as do minds. And the indian burn is classic, definently needs to be used more but not on cam bc then the paybacks will be so bad we might need to go to the hospital for skin graphs

Kathryn said...

Something I have learned - purchasing the sqeezable jelly vs. the jelly from a jar is worth the extra money. Just a thought.

Tamar said...

I love this list!! Thanks for sharing the wisdom from your week with all of us, #1 was so beautifully stated and is undeniably true. Now I have to ask one thing, what is an "Indian Burn"?? I must know! As always, hilarious, inspiring and just so full of Erin goodness. Thanks!

iammommahearmeroar said...

You are so funny. I love your blog. I haven't thought about an indian burn since I was a kid. Thanks for the reminder....I'll be trying it out soon on someone. I pick Krispy Kremes over stress anyday.

Krista said...

ha. made me laugh out loud the indian burn part. Maybe I can give mini ones to my kids. :) maybe. call them indi- mini burns.
so I loved the list. great idea in fact. I think I may have to try this. And of course "girl's rule and boy's drool." I learned that in an important time of my life and got a daily dosage reminder on someone's door. he he.

Dianne Jung said...

Erin,I love your lessons learned! It reminds me of a quote:Doing housework is like threading beads on a thread without a knot!![something like that]
I also agree that stress does move us forward and give us the impetus to create, make changes for the good? hopefully, and definitely not remain stagnant!! LOL on the Krispy Kreme thught of 0 grams of fat!!!! Dianne