2.09.2009

Challenge



A week ago, during family night, we talked about having a cheerful attitude. I gave Ady and Anders a slice of a lemon and a blueberry and asked them to taste it. The props were an object lesson to show the difference between a sweet and sour attitude
"Ewww. Sour!" Ady stated as she barely tasted the lemon.
"MMMM. I like this one." said Anders as he gnawed on the lemon rind.
"Don't you like the blueberry better?" I asked.
"Naw. I don't. I like lemons." Anders replied, scrunching up his nose.


I think someone was trying to tell me something. I was trying to teach my children that although we don't always get to choose what comes our way in life, lemons or blueberries, we can choose our reaction. My children were trying to teach me that some kids like being blueberries and some like being lemons. This hypothisis was tested when after a little discussion and some games, Anders decided to be a lemon by throwing the worlds' worst tantrum.
Furthermore, our challenge for the week, to have a happy attitude...even when we don't get our way, was completely and utterly out of the question.

8 comments:

CUTRER said...

it's funny how kids take what you give them and make it work only for them... I just wanted to say thank you for last Saturday that was a blast. I hope we didn't leave the house in a big mess.... It was fun to see all the old gang from the Sandy hood. We do need a re-match and this time girls will rule.

Anonymous said...

that is so funny erin, i love that anders backfired the lesson. hilarious

Tamar said...

i would love a copy of that lesson, email it pleeeze! My FHE lessons never turn out as I hope they would, but there are always fun memories to be made no matter what. Your kids are hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute story. Is it all second children that are difficult or just ours? Hope your well. We would love to get together. It's our turn to have you guys over.

Anonymous said...

it seems as though ady has scarlet fever and your homeward bound you could at least update the blog...

Chelsea said...

This reminded me of you guys:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6694967

Anonymous said...

still waiting for an update!!!sheesh! i knew once you joined facebook you would slack on the blog!

Erin said...

Erin your blog is so funny!! I was laughing at almsot every entry I read. Makes me think I better add some more humor to mine. Sounds like your kids and husband keep you pretty entertained:)
Erin